Who ever said that being a SAHM with a child at school could be boring! Since Dominic started school, I'm amazed at how many activities us Mums (and Dads!) can be involved in with the school.
My favourite thing by far is being a helper in Dominic's classroom! I'm already known by nearly all the preppies as 'Dominic's Mum' and I even have a couple of the kids, that love a cuddle when I'm in there on a Friday! I love sitting there in the back of the class (well technically the side, but that doesn't sound as nice!) drawing, cutting, laminating or sharpening pencils and listening to those gorgeous little 4-5 year old's, absorbing all this new knowledge! The curriculum thats at their school is the Letterland curriculum and I must say, I'm super duper impressed with it! So much so, I'm thinking of getting the DVD of it for the younger ones here at home, so they can play along on the computer with it! I would definatly recommend it to any homeschooling families out there that might be looking for a curriculum for their kids. I'm looking at doing it as a pre-prep class for the kids, before they go to school, as the twins still have this year and next year before they even start prep, and they are so thirsty for knowledge, that I think they would love this!
A little hint though, be sure to check out The Book Depository before you purchase it, as its so much cheaper on their site, and they offer FREE international postage! Whenever I order books, I go straight to their site!
The other great thing that the school has is the Stephanie Alexander Kitchen Garden Program. This was a big attraction for us in choosing a school for Dominic, he loves being outdoors and growing things.
When I realised just how much Dominic loved going to the garden each fortnight, I wanted to be apart of the program, so I'm now on the fundraising team! We have to find new and exciting ways to fundraise.
The idea that I came up with, I cant take all the credit for! A large part of it goes to my sister Bec, who while being on my laptop on Friday she had the Vegie Smugglers site open and I noticed on the website, had a fundraising icon. The best thing about Vegie Smugglers is that is a cookbook and blog about creating yummy and healthy meals for fussy children who dont like eating vegetables!
Well its like God was telling me that this was the fundraising idea for our school!! When I read through it more, I was more convinced that it is the right fundraising, and today I put it forward to the rest of the committee and also the Head of Primary and they all LOVED it!
So I'm now the offical organiser/fundraiser for the Kitchen Garden program! And we are taking orders for the Vegie Smugglers Cookbook. If anyone is interested in purchasing one, please email me! And its for such a good cause and some really yummy receipes in there as well!



No comments:
Post a Comment